Ever had a day from The Office, where you are scrounging in the corner of the kitchen for the Doritos, Tastykakes, or another carb someone left in the cabinet last summer? When it comes to nutrition in the office, there are a few no-brainers.
1. Don't bring a dozen doughnuts to work, and you won't eat a dozen doughnuts. (same goes for cookies)
2. Keep healthy, high-protein snacks close at hand, and that's what you'll grab for in a pinch.
3. Take breaks in your workday to get up and stretch, even take a little walk.
4. Keep a glass of water by your side. Try for 8 full glasses a day. If you had coffee, add one more glass (of water!).
5. Skip the Dunkin Donuts drive-through.
Did we mention doughnuts and chips? Old habits die hard when it comes to difficult, long workdays. We are wired to fuel our bodies when the going gets tough. So many times, sugar has been my go-to drug that gives me the gumption to finish up a difficult report that I have to email off.
We need to expect binge-worthy times and be ready with an arsenal of healthy snacks and drinks! Some might include:
- Nuts and seeds like almonds, cashews, sunflower seeds, or walnuts
- Fruit - so easy and portable!
- Chopped veggies that provide a sweet kick, such as carrots with a hummus dip
- High protein cheeses or cottage cheese
- Yogurt and granola
- Green tea to boost antioxidants
Another wonderful tool to bring out on those difficult days - essential oil blends. You can make your own roller bottle blends that will actually help you curb cravings when you apply to your wrists and pulse points. Simply take a 10 ml glass roller bottle, add 10 drops of essential oil (see our recipes below) and fill the rest of the bottle with fractionated coconut oil.
“Curb That Appetite” roller bottle blend
3 drops peppermint essential oil
3 drops ocotea essential oil
2 drops orange essential oil
2 drops grapefruit essential oil
“Sugar Stopper” roller bottle blend
4 drops fennel essential oil
4 drops grapefruit essential oil
2 drops patchouli essential oil
(note: because grapefruit essential oil can cause a phototoxicity, don’t use this blend on skin that might be exposed to sun)
“Kick the Cravings” roller bottle blend
3 drops dill essential oil
2 drop fennel essential oil
3 drops lavender essential oil
2 drops lemongrass essential oil
“Liquid Calm” roller bottle blend
3 drops cypress essential oil
3 drops sandalwood essential oil
2 drops coriander essential oil
2 drops lavender essential oil